Monday, March 4, 2013

DIY Dog Pillow

Lately, I've been craving another DIY project.  I decided to make Sunnie a large dog pillow.  I needed a pillow that I could machine wash the case and the pillows inside when Sunnie gets them dirty.  The least expensive dog pillows I've been able to find start at $18.  My goal was to make one cuter and cheaper than that price.  I came out a total of $10.
Victory.
Here's my list of materials:
2 yards of 1 or 2 fabrics
At least 12 inches of velcro
Thread
**Sewing Machine
2 old pillows
One super sweet dog


Mom had these pillows stashed in the attic = money saver!  If you buy pillows, walmart has them for $2.50 each.  I already had white thread.  I sewed the pillows together, with a simple stitch, in the middle so they would not separate.  Prep your fabric by ironing to get all wrinkles and creases out.

After measuring the pillows' combined length and width, I added two inches to the measurements to make up for the thickness of the pillows and room for my seam.  ((My combined pillow measurements were 35x25))  After cutting, face the colorful sides of the fabric together and pin the edges so you can begin to sew.  After winding your bobbin and thread, sew two long sides and one short side.  Leave the other short side for the velcro step.
TIP:  If you are not confident with your sewing skills, pick a patterned fabric that doesn't show mistake.  My floral pattern doesn't show crookedness at all.  Stripes are something to avoid.

With the fabric still inside out, take your 4, 3 inch strips of velcro.  I ironed the velcro and the edges of the fabric.  Pick two spots of one side of your fabric and pin the velcro.  Match up the other two strips on the opposite side of fabric.  SEW each side.  DO NOT sew the sides together.  The velcro keeps that edge closed. 

Turn your pillow case, poke out the corners, slide your pillows in!  Sunnie was so excited while I was doing this, she was laying on the case and pillows as I was putting them together.

**I loved my fabric combination so much that I brought the chevron around on the floral side.  This wasn't much extra work.  I used scrap fabric of the chevron and sewed it to the floral.  As long as the final length is the same as the other side, you are good.

She's in lurve!

1 comment: