Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Peacock Wedding Theme - DIY

I realize that I never uploaded my wedding pictures to facebook.  It's silly, considering everything else I do is in a facebook album.  What had happened was...there were so many pictures to choose from, I could only narrow down to 300.  AND my lovely photographer(Jana Candler) had uploaded some while Jeff and I were honeymooning. So I didn't bother, I just focused on being a married woman.  Well now that we're a little further down the road(1 year, 3 months) I need to share some details.  There have been quite a few people who have asked about our peacock decorations, so I think a blog is the simplest way to share.  They were all DIY except for the bouquets, which were done by a wholesale flower shop - yaaay budget saver!

1.  First and foremost you must have a groom that you are hopelessly in love with.  That makes the day complete before it even begins.  Then you can start the planning.

2. Must have hot, coordinating shoes.  See above.

3. COLOR is important.  This is what shows up in your pictures!  Must I remind you that pictures/video/husband are the only things you'll have left when the day is over?  I went a little on the different side when it came to my flowers to stick with the teal scheme.  Blue Bomb Orchids, green hydrangeas, purple somethings, and fuchsia somethings.  Originally, I wouldn't have chosen the fuchsia, but the combination needed some help.  Peacock feather were dispersed among the flowers.

4. Must employ big brother to move antique couch from house to peach orchard.

4 1/2.  Bridesmaids dresses from Belk = $40 each.  Groomsmen suits from JC Penney = $99 each.  Groomsmen Ties from Burlington Brands = $6 each.

5. A personal touch- I added a locket(Hobby Lobby-jewelry section) that held my Dad's picture.  It was helpful to have that during the day.






6. Groomsmen Boutonnieres- I trimmed the peacock feather to an appropriate size, to keep from making them distracting instead of complementing.  The pearl and silver beads at the base were held on by a silver pin that you can find in any earring/jewelry making store.  Then used floral tape to hold everything together.  They were a little difficult to make, but I had them done 5 months before the wedding.

7. Personalized Guest Book- This was created on Shutterfly.  I made the cover and peacock pages in a separate program(Adobe Photoshop) and uploaded them as a regular picture, set as the background.  Since the wedding, Jeff and I have enjoyed reading our guests' notes.

8. Programs- This peacock feather was stamped on each program.  Stamp & Ink from Hobby Lobby.  The text was designed on Adobe Illustrator.  I also used a "thank you" stamp and the same feather to make all of our thank you stationary.  It took some time, but I enjoyed them being unique.  Basket from Goodwill.

Now to the reception fun.  These lovely ladies did the hard work!  They dealt with the Asparagus Fern...who knew it was prickly??
9. Centerpieces- Tall narrow glass(borrowed).  This brought height to the room and didn't block table conversation.  The glass was filled with fish tank rocks(mom used these in the garden later).  5 peacock feathers and 4 or 5 peacock swords were placed in each glass, then the asparagus fern to droop down.  Oh and some tan squiggly twigs I got at Goodwill.
 Final Product!








10. Legacy "table"-  I've seen legacy tables done before and I always wonder...who are those people?  I labeled mine and told their relation to Jeff & I.  It was helpful, I think.  These frames and the tree twig/glass vase are now used in my home :)  double dipping.
11. Tree- the twigs were bought from hobby lobby and Hobo's Consignment shop.  I printed out collages of us from Picasso and cut the pictures of Jeff & I, then taped them to coordinating card stock.  Tied with 50% off ribbon from Hobby Lobby.  Peacock feathers were dispersed throughout the arrangement and on the table.


12.  All in all, see number 1, because what actually matters is who signs that marriage license.  It's for better or worse, and I'm not talking about decorations here, I'm talking about LIFE.

2 comments:

  1. you guys are simply adorable...and heavens, that wedding was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thank you dear! we certainly had fun putting everything together!

    ReplyDelete