Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chicken Rice-A-Roni Casserole

When Jeff and I first got married, I told him, "If I ever cook something you don't like, or that's not good, TELL ME so I don't cook it again, or I can fix what's wrong."  You know that Brad Paisley song that talks about asking for seconds to keep her from tearing up.  Well, I'd rather hear the bad news right then, than cook a meal for the next 30 years and Jeff have to eat it!  Once again, communication is everything.
The Chicken Rice-A-Roni Cassarole passed that "Can I cook it again? Test." Chris(Bro-in-law) ate two plates of it. . . I think we'll be seeing this lovely again!
When I decided to fix this I called mom.  This is a farnham family favorite.  She didn't have the recipe off the top of her head, so I did what any great wifey would do. . . I googled it.  Here's what I got from PlainChicken.com adapted from TastyKitchen.com.
1 box Chicken flavored Rice-A-Roni
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
3-4 cups cooked, chipped chicken
1 6oz can French fried onions

Preheat to 350 F.
 Prepare Rice-A-Roni according to package directions.  Cook chicken.  Add soup, sour cream and chicken to rice.  Stir to combine.  Spray 9x13 dish.  Spread rice mixture into dish.  Top with fried onions(YUM).  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
I had a different size dish, so I adjusted my bake time.  Smaller dish = thicker food = bake longer.
Now you've got 30 minutes to clean up, make sweet tea and, set out salad stuff. . . or take a nap.

1 comment: